Cavities in Des Plaines, IL
Causes of Cavities
- Improper dental hygiene
- A diet high in sugar and starch
- Lack of fluoride
- Chronic diseases or medication which inhibits saliva production
- Drug use
Symptoms of cavities
When cavities are forming, they can have symptoms that are difficult to notice. These symptoms include a slight sensitivity to cold and mild discoloration of the tooth surface. As the cavity advances on the tooth’s dentin, a dark spot will appear and the tooth sensitivity will increase. If a cavity should affect the tooth’s pulp, it can become painful and you may experience bad breath and a bad taste in your mouth. If a cavity is not treated at this point, the tooth becomes prone to infection which can cause an abscess.
- Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day
- Minimize the intake of products high in sugar and starch
- Visit the dentist every six months for a complete check-up
- Ask for a professional cleaning at least once a year if you do not smoke (sooner if the tartar build-up is high) or twice a year if you smoke or chew tobacco.
Cavities are common, but they should not affect your busy life! Visit our office today for cost-effective and reliable treatment of cavities in Des Plaines.
From the moment of your first interaction with our dental office, we strive to make you feel welcomed and at ease. Whether you’re just calling to inquire about making an appointment or you’re coming in for a consultation, you’ll immediately notice that our office is characterized by a warm and friendly attitude.
Monday10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Saturday (Alternate)9:OO am - 1:00 pm
Early Morning & Late Evening by Appointment Only!